Overview of Solar Eclipse Glasses & Creating Your Own
Solar eclipses occur when the Moon passes between the Earth and the Sun, blocking out all or part of the Sun from view. The most exciting and memorable way to witness a total solar eclipse is to witness it with the naked eye, but in order to do so safely, you need to use special eclipse glasses. These glasses are designed to protect your eyes from the intense light of the Sun, and can be used for any type of eclipse, including partial and total solar eclipses. In this blog post, we will discuss what solar eclipse glasses are and how to create your own.
What are Solar Eclipse Glasses?
Solar eclipse glasses are specially designed glasses that are used to protect your eyes from the intense light of the Sun during an eclipse. They are usually made of a thick, dark material, such as cardboard or plastic, and have a special lens that filters out harmful ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) light. Solar eclipse glasses are designed to allow you to safely view the Sun during an eclipse, without risking eye damage.
How to Create Your Own Solar Eclipse GlassesIf you don’t have access to commercially produced solar eclipse glasses, you can make your own. Here’s how:
- Gather the supplies you need. You will need a piece of cardboard, some aluminum foil, scissors, a hole punch, and a piece of dark plastic or glass. You can also use a clear plastic sheet if you don’t have a piece of dark plastic or glass.
- Cut the cardboard into a square. Make sure it’s big enough so that you can fit your head inside it.
- Cut the aluminum foil into a square the same size as the cardboard. Place the aluminum foil onto the cardboard and use the hole punch to make two holes in the center of the foil.
- Cut the dark plastic or glass into a square the same size as the cardboard. Place the dark plastic or glass onto the aluminum foil. Use the hole punch to make two holes in the center of the plastic or glass.
- Place the cardboard onto your head and secure it with some string or elastic. Make sure that the aluminum foil and dark plastic or glass are in front of your eyes.
- You now have your own homemade solar eclipse glasses!
Solar eclipse glasses are an important tool for safely viewing a solar eclipse. While it is possible to purchase commercial solar eclipse glasses, it is also possible to make your own, using readily available materials. With a few simple steps, you can create your own solar eclipse glasses and safely view an upcoming solar eclipse.